Upcoming EPGS Events
Forum for the 4Ms: Age-Friendly Health Systems
Wednesday, March 20, 2019 5:30PM
Click here for complete details.
2018 Board Meetings:
June 6 and September 12
Recent EPGS Events
Guns: Armed and Aging
The United States is facing a crisis in firearm violence as evidenced by school shootings, mass shootings and calls both for and against changes to be made in gun laws. Increasingly, older adults are killed by guns or are killing others with guns.
Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:00pm
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Thomson Gallery, 19 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Shira Goodman, Executive Director, CeaseFirePA
Jennifer Spoeri, Director, Older Adult Protective Services, Philadelphia Corporation for Aging
Ilene Warner-Maron, PhD, RN, Moderator, Assistant Professor, PCOM
Richard Brehant, Gun Permit Unit, Philadelphia Police Department
Older adults, including those with dementia, depression, and psychosis, are at increased risk of being victimized or causing harm to others using a firearm. Since older adults now constitute the largest group of firearms owners, what should be the role of the geriatric health care team in the prevention of gun-related violence?
This panel will discuss the role of health providers in assessing, counseling and intervening for older adults at risk for gun violence.
This educational seminar is open to healthcare professionals and providers, practitioners, and others interested in this topic. Please feel free to pass this event information on to anyone who may be interested.
May 22, 2018:
26th Annual Research Night
Thank you to everyone who attended the EPGS 26th Annual Research Night, and thank you to The College of Physicians of Philadelphia for co-hosting this event at The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Thomson Gallery.
Congratulations to all of our presenters. Our Geriatric Fellow participants represented the following institutions:
Abington Hospital Jefferson Health, Rowan University SOM NJISA, Thomas Jefferson University, Temple University Hospital/Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing: NewCourtland Center for Transitions and Health.
This year's Winners and Presenters were:
First Place: Dr. Christina Whitehouse, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing: NewCourtland Center for Transitions and Health
"Telehealth Delivery of Diabetes Education During Transitions in Care"
Second Place: Dr. Tiffany Jean Gonzales, Abington Hospital Jefferson Health
"Make No Bones About It: Osteoporosis is a Poorly Identified Disease Entity in the Hospital"
Third Place: Katherine Mulquin, Christopher Capicotto, Olivia Questore,
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
"Disinfectant Treatment of Pelvic Pressure Ulcers: A Crossover Pilot Study"
Dr. Jesse Abesh, Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine NJISA
"Medication Self-Administration in Patients with Cognitive Impairment"
Dr. Elizabeth Collins, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Dept. of Family and
Community Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Palliative Care
"Implementation of a Volunteer-Based Hospital Visitation Program for Older Adults"
- November, 2018: Guns: Armed and Aging
- May, 2018: EPGS 26th Annual Research Night
- December, 2017: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- October, 2017: Telemedicine and Telehealth: Defining the Future Impact on Senior Healthcare
- March, 2017: Using the Tango in the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease: Cognitive Interaction and Parkinson's
- December, 2016: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- October, 2016: Is Alzheimer's Disease Preventable? Scientific Updates on Medications in Clinical Trials
- May, 2016: EPGS 24th Annual Research Night
- March, 2016: Avoiding Federal Prosecution Through Effective Compliance
- December, 2015: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- October, 2015: Aging with Dignity Working with LGBT Older Adults
- May, 2015: EPGS 23rd Annual Research Night
- December, 2014: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- May, 2014: EPGS 22nd Annual Research Night
- April, 2014: Diabetes Care in the Geriatric Patient
- December, 2013: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- May, 2013: The 21st Annual Research Night
- April 2013: At Cathedral Village - The Use of Psychotropic Medications in Long-Term Care: The Newest Frontier
- December 2012: Annual Awards Dinner
- May, 2012: The 20th Annual Research Night
- December 2011: Annual Awards Dinner
- May, 2011: The 19th Annual Research Night
- December 2010: Annual Awards Dinner
- October 2010: Fall Educational Dinner & Program at The Chart House
- May 2010: 18th Annual Research Night
- December 2009: Annual Awards Dinner
- May 2009: 17th Annual Research Night
- March 2009: Managing People with Dementia Disorders: Evidence for Innovation at Home
- December 2008: Awards Dinner
- May 2008: 16th Annual EPGS Graduate Research Night Presentations
- December 2007 Event
Download documents from past events
May 15, 2012 - 20th Annual Research Night
Thank you to everyone who attended the EPGS 20th Annual Research Night and congratulations to all of our presenters. Our Geriatric Fellow participants represented the following institutions: Thomas Jefferson University, University of Medicine and Dentistry Of New Jersey, Abington Memorial Hospital, Temple University/Crozer Chester, and Sacred Heart Hospital.
First Place: Dr. Christian White, University Of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-School of Osteopathic Medicine - "A Comparison of Nursing Home Staff who use a Person-Centered Perspective to Those who use a Standard Paradigm Perspective on Related Stress"
Second Place: Dr. Alyson Dobracki, Temple University Hospital - "Under-Recognition of Weight Loss in Community-Dwelling elders"
Third Place: Dr. Nataliya Dementovych, Abington Memorial Hospital - "Improving Function After Hospitalization in Older Adults With Co-Morbidities"
Dr. Cosmina Popa
Dr. Jenny Chiang
October 12, 2011 - Preventing Elder Investment Fraud: Assessing Your Patients for Vulnerability to Financial Exploitation
- by Joshua D. Uy, M.D., UPenn, Department of Medicine & Michael J. Byrne, Pennsylvania Securities Commission (Powerpoint - 4MB)
March 15, 2011: Hoarding in the Elderly: A Threat to Aging in Place
Presented by Dr. Mary Ann Forciea, UPenn-Medical Director, In-Home Program,
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
- Hoarding in the Elderly: A Threat to Aging in Place (PowerPoint)
- Self Neglect Severity Scale (PDF)
October 14th, 2009: Hospice Care, The New Frontier for Compliance & Enforcement
- Click here to download a copy of the PowerPoint Presentation
- Oregon Hospice Pays $1.83 Million to Settle False Claims Act Liability