Upcoming EPGS Events
EPGS 26th Annual Research Night:
Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:30PM
Click here for complete details.
2018 Board Meetings:
June 6 and September 12
Recent EPGS Events
Monday, December 4, 2017:
The EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
Thank you to everyone who attended our Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner on December 4, 2017 at the Union League of Philadelphia.
A special thank you to our Keynote Speaker, William Benson, Health Benefits ABCs, LLC, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of the US Administration on Aging. Mr. Benson also served in key staff leadership positions with congressional committees and subcommittees including the Senate Special Committee on Aging and the House Select Committee on Aging.
Our congratulations to our Award Recipients:
Arthur Weisfeld, Executive Director, Senior Community Services, the Charles Ewing Memorial President's Award for extraordinary accomplishments in improving the lives of older adults.
Jason Karlawish, MD, University of Pennsylvania, the Barbara Bell, MD Award for distinguished service in the field of Geriatric Medicine.
Mary D. Naylor, PhD, RN, University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, the Nancy Tatum, RN Award for distinguished service in the field of Geriatric Nursing.
Ilene Warner-Maron, PhD, RN, NHA, FCPP, Alden Geriatric Consultants, Inc., the Grace W. Harrison Award for distinguish service in the field of long term care.
Thank you to our sponsors and supporters
who helped make this event possible:
BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
(Sponsored Keynote Speaker)
MAIN LINE HEALTH
Thank you to PCA as a 2017 Corporate Member of EPGS.
Telemedicine and Telehealth:
Defining the Future Impact on Senior Healthcare
Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:00pm
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Thomson Gallery, 19 South 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Dr. David Chess, MD: Geriatrician, internist, and entrepreneur with 30 years of experience in working to improve care for patients. He is a co-founder of Triple Care which provides access to high quality physician care after hours in post-acute settings via telemedicine.
Chris Schabowsky, PhD Program Manager and Healthcare Consultant at ECRI Institute in the Applied Solutions Group. He has his PhD in Biomedical Engineering. Chris has recently worked as part of a team that involved a means to compare telehealth platforms for decision-making and selection.
Paul Nordeman, MHA, NHA President and CEO of Meadowood Senior Living, a not for profit single site life plan community in Montgomery County, PA. He has been with this community since 2007, and has been instrumental in leading his team to develop and implement an innovative masterplan and strategic plan that includes the utilization of telemedicine and telehealth.
Beth Cwiklinski, MSW, MBAVice President of Residential Health Services at Meadowood Senior Living. She has worked as part of the team at Meadowood that operationalized the usage of telemedicine in both the skilled nursing and personal care areas of the Health Center.
Panel approach on how to best define the differences between telemedicine and telehealth, and how they can be part of the solutions to face future healthcare challenges in professional and front-line direct care, cost effectiveness, and ongoing quality improvement.
This educational seminar is open to healthcare professionals and providers, practitioners, and others interested in this topic. Please feel free to pass this event information on to anyone who may be interested.
- December, 2017: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- October, 2017: Telemedicine and Telehealth: Defining the Future Impact on Senior Healthcare
- March, 2017: Using the Tango in the Treatment of Parkinson's Disease: Cognitive Interaction and Parkinson's
- December, 2016: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- October, 2016: Is Alzheimer's Disease Preventable? Scientific Updates on Medications in Clinical Trials
- May, 2016: EPGS 24th Annual Research Night
- March, 2016: Avoiding Federal Prosecution Through Effective Compliance
- December, 2015: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- October, 2015: Aging with Dignity Working with LGBT Older Adults
- May, 2015: EPGS 23rd Annual Research Night
- December, 2014: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- May, 2014: EPGS 22nd Annual Research Night
- April, 2014: Diabetes Care in the Geriatric Patient
- December, 2013: EPGS Annual Meeting and Awards Dinner
- May, 2013: The 21st Annual Research Night
- April 2013: At Cathedral Village - The Use of Psychotropic Medications in Long-Term Care: The Newest Frontier
- December 2012: Annual Awards Dinner
- May, 2012: The 20th Annual Research Night
- December 2011: Annual Awards Dinner
- May, 2011: The 19th Annual Research Night
- December 2010: Annual Awards Dinner
- October 2010: Fall Educational Dinner & Program at The Chart House
- May 2010: 18th Annual Research Night
- December 2009: Annual Awards Dinner
- May 2009: 17th Annual Research Night
- March 2009: Managing People with Dementia Disorders: Evidence for Innovation at Home
- December 2008: Awards Dinner
- May 2008: 16th Annual EPGS Graduate Research Night Presentations
- December 2007 Event
Download documents from past events
May 15, 2012 - 20th Annual Research Night
Thank you to everyone who attended the EPGS 20th Annual Research Night and congratulations to all of our presenters. Our Geriatric Fellow participants represented the following institutions: Thomas Jefferson University, University of Medicine and Dentistry Of New Jersey, Abington Memorial Hospital, Temple University/Crozer Chester, and Sacred Heart Hospital.
First Place: Dr. Christian White, University Of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-School of Osteopathic Medicine - "A Comparison of Nursing Home Staff who use a Person-Centered Perspective to Those who use a Standard Paradigm Perspective on Related Stress"
Second Place: Dr. Alyson Dobracki, Temple University Hospital - "Under-Recognition of Weight Loss in Community-Dwelling elders"
Third Place: Dr. Nataliya Dementovych, Abington Memorial Hospital - "Improving Function After Hospitalization in Older Adults With Co-Morbidities"
Dr. Cosmina Popa
Dr. Jenny Chiang
October 12, 2011 - Preventing Elder Investment Fraud: Assessing Your Patients for Vulnerability to Financial Exploitation
- by Joshua D. Uy, M.D., UPenn, Department of Medicine & Michael J. Byrne, Pennsylvania Securities Commission (Powerpoint - 4MB)
March 15, 2011: Hoarding in the Elderly: A Threat to Aging in Place
Presented by Dr. Mary Ann Forciea, UPenn-Medical Director, In-Home Program,
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
- Hoarding in the Elderly: A Threat to Aging in Place (PowerPoint)
- Self Neglect Severity Scale (PDF)
October 14th, 2009: Hospice Care, The New Frontier for Compliance & Enforcement
- Click here to download a copy of the PowerPoint Presentation
- Oregon Hospice Pays $1.83 Million to Settle False Claims Act Liability